Drools Java and .Net

Gorantla, Bhaskar (GE Capital)

We are looking for a rules engine that has the following characteristics.

1.       Supports both Java and .net

2.       Provides a business user friendly UI for creating/editing rules

3.       Supports versioning

4.       The rues in the rules repository are accessible to both Java and .net applications – Nice to have

Do you know whether Drools supports all the above?

Thanks

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Drools Java and .Net

manstis
Hi,

I believe the .NET implementation of Drools is somewhat out dated.

However Drools ticks all your other requirements.

With kind regards,

Mike

2011/1/19 Gorantla, Bhaskar (GE Capital) <[hidden email]>

We are looking for a rules engine that has the following characteristics.

1.       Supports both Java and .net

2.       Provides a business user friendly UI for creating/editing rules

3.       Supports versioning

4.       The rues in the rules repository are accessible to both Java and .net applications – Nice to have

Do you know whether Drools supports all the above?

Thanks

Re: Drools Java and .Net

salaboy
Yes, and if you want to use the rule engine from .NET you can use the Drools Server that expose the Drools Runtime in REST and SOAP interfaces :)
Greetings.

2011/1/19 Michael Anstis <[hidden email]>
Hi,

I believe the .NET implementation of Drools is somewhat out dated.

However Drools ticks all your other requirements.

With kind regards,

Mike

2011/1/19 Gorantla, Bhaskar (GE Capital) <[hidden email]>

We are looking for a rules engine that has the following characteristics.

1.       Supports both Java and .net

2.       Provides a business user friendly UI for creating/editing rules

3.       Supports versioning

4.       The rues in the rules repository are accessible to both Java and .net applications – Nice to have

Do you know whether Drools supports all the above?

Thanks

 - CTO @ http://www.plugtree.com
 - Co-Founder @ http://www.jbug.com.ar

 - Salatino "Salaboy" Mauricio -

Re: Drools Java and .Net

FrankVhh
Hi all,

Suppose that you have a rule engine that needs to be embedded on the machine and that there is no way to call the rules as a service from a centralized server, what approach would one have to choose to make Drools and .NET work?

The rulke engine will have to be cached to improve performance, so that part, until there is an up-to-date version of Drools.NET, has to be in Java anyway. Then you expose your JAVA code as a (local) service and let .NET call it? Or am I seeing things wrong here?

I must stipulate that I am not an expert in .NET at all, and I know only barely enough Java to get Drools working :-).

Thanks for your help.

Kind regards,
Frank

salaboy wrote

2011/1/19 Michael Anstis <michael.anstis@gmail.com>

> Hi,
>
> I believe the .NET implementation of Drools is somewhat out dated.
>
> However Drools ticks all your other requirements.
>
> With kind regards,
>
> Mike
>
> 2011/1/19 Gorantla, Bhaskar (GE Capital) <bhaskar.gorantla@ge.com>
>
>> We are looking for a rules engine that has the following characteristics.
>>

>> 1.       Supports both Java and .net
>>
>> 2.       Provides a business user friendly UI for creating/editing rules
>>
>> 3.       Supports versioning
>>
>> 4.       The rues in the rules repository are accessible to both Java and
>> .net applications – Nice to have
>>

>> Do you know whether Drools supports all the above?
>>

>> Thanks

 - CTO @ http://www.plugtree.com
 - Co-Founder @ http://www.jbug.com.ar

 - Salatino "Salaboy" Mauricio -

Re: Drools Java and .Net

Diego López León-2
Frank,
you can try the IKVM project from Mono[0].
>From their site:
"Mono is able to run Java code side-by-side with .NET as well as
having Java and .NET object interoperate with each other"

Let us know if that worked.

Regards.

[0]:http://www.mono-project.com/Java

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 12:04 PM, FrankVhh
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Suppose that you have a rule engine that needs to be embedded on the machine
> and that there is no way to call the rules as a service from a centralized
> server, what approach would one have to choose to make Drools and .NET work?
>
> The rulke engine will have to be cached to improve performance, so that
> part, until there is an up-to-date version of Drools.NET, has to be in Java
> anyway. Then you expose your JAVA code as a (local) service and let .NET
> call it? Or am I seeing things wrong here?
>
> I must stipulate that I am not an expert in .NET at all, and I know only
> barely enough Java to get Drools working :-).
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Kind regards,
> Frank
>

> salaboy wrote:
>>
>> Yes, and if you want to use the rule engine from .NET you can use the
>> Drools
>> Server that expose the Drools Runtime in REST and SOAP interfaces :)
>> Greetings.
>>
>> 2011/1/19 Michael Anstis <[hidden email]>
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I believe the .NET implementation of Drools is somewhat out dated.
>>>
>>> However Drools ticks all your other requirements.
>>>
>>> With kind regards,
>>>
>>> Mike

>> --
>>  - CTO @ http://www.plugtree.com
>>  - MyJourney @ http://salaboy.wordpress.com
>>  - Co-Founder @ http://www.jbug.com.ar
>>
>>  - Salatino "Salaboy" Mauricio -

diego

Re: Drools Java and .Net

manstis
There are implementations of JNI available too, that support the invocation of Java code from .NET.

These bridges would (should) work but I have no experience of their use.

Google for "java .net jni" shows some options.

With kind regards,

Mike

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Suppose that you have a rule engine that needs to be embedded on the machine
> and that there is no way to call the rules as a service from a centralized
> server, what approach would one have to choose to make Drools and .NET work?
>
> The rulke engine will have to be cached to improve performance, so that
> part, until there is an up-to-date version of Drools.NET, has to be in Java
> anyway. Then you expose your JAVA code as a (local) service and let .NET
> call it? Or am I seeing things wrong here?
>
> I must stipulate that I am not an expert in .NET at all, and I know only
> barely enough Java to get Drools working :-).
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Kind regards,
> Frank
>

> salaboy wrote:
>>
>> Yes, and if you want to use the rule engine from .NET you can use the
>> Drools
>> Server that expose the Drools Runtime in REST and SOAP interfaces :)
>> Greetings.
>>
>> 2011/1/19 Michael Anstis <[hidden email]>
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I believe the .NET implementation of Drools is somewhat out dated.
>>>
>>> However Drools ticks all your other requirements.
>>>
>>> With kind regards,
>>>
>>> Mike

>> --
>>  - CTO @ http://www.plugtree.com
>>  - MyJourney @ http://salaboy.wordpress.com
>>  - Co-Founder @ http://www.jbug.com.ar
>>
>>  - Salatino "Salaboy" Mauricio -

diego

Re: Drools Java and .Net

Corneil du Plessis
We have successfully used IKVM to create a dlls for our Drools application.

The performance was a bit slower on IKVM/.Net as in Sun Java 5.
We dynamically load a large number of rules and found the largest impact is to the 'load time'

The performance impact was not such that it would make a network call viable; especially with 1000s of clients.

Apart from the performance impact the behaviour is exactly the same.

salaboy wrote:
[...]

Corneil du Plessis - Software Architect

TSC Technologies (Pty) Ltd
(o) +27 11 431 1666
(f) +27 86 674 2962
(c) +27 82 530 9259
Email: [hidden email]
www.tsctech.com

Re: Drools Java and .Net

FrankVhh
Hi all,

Thanks for your inputs. As you suggested, this week I tried to use IKVM to make Drools and .NET work together.

Converting the Java implementation of drools to dll, importing dll into .NET and calling the java functions isn't that hard, once you are a little bit familiar with ikvm. No syntax errors in Visual Studio when I do this.

However, there seems to be going something wrong on execution. It appears to me that the execution environment does not recognize the "drools-language".

The execution crashes on the first call of Drools code (knowledgebuilderfactory.new KnowledgeBuilder()) with the errors:
    - IllegalArgumentException : Unable to instantiate service for Class 'org.drools.builder.KnowledgeBuilderFactoryService"
    - ClassNotFoundException: org.drools.builder.impl.KnowledgeBuilderFactoryServiceImpl

This means there are some dependancies missing, right? But should I be looking to add some jars to the IKVM-JVM? Or is this definitely a problem of wrong jar to dll conversion?

Corneil, could you tell me whether you ran into dependancy problems as well?

fyi I also tried to import the drools library as dll into .NET and then rewrite the entire wrapping code in .NET. This didn't return any syntax errors either, but got stuck in execution as well. (With same errors).

Regards,
Frank

Corneil du Plessis wrote
We have successfully used IKVM to create a dlls for our Drools application.

The performance was a bit slower on IKVM/.Net as in Sun Java 5.
We dynamically load a large number of rules and found the largest impact
is to the 'load time'

The performance impact was not such that it would make a network call
viable; especially with 1000s of clients.

Apart from the performance impact the behaviour is exactly the same.

On 25/01/2011 17:04, FrankVhh wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Suppose that you have a rule engine that needs to be embedded on the machine
> and that there is no way to call the rules as a service from a centralized
> server, what approach would one have to choose to make Drools and .NET work?
>
> The rulke engine will have to be cached to improve performance, so that
> part, until there is an up-to-date version of Drools.NET, has to be in Java
> anyway. Then you expose your JAVA code as a (local) service and let .NET
> call it? Or am I seeing things wrong here?
>
> I must stipulate that I am not an expert in .NET at all, and I know only
> barely enough Java to get Drools working :-).
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Kind regards,
> Frank
>

> salaboy wrote:
>> Yes, and if you want to use the rule engine from .NET you can use the
>> Drools
>> Server that expose the Drools Runtime in REST and SOAP interfaces :)
>> Greetings.
>>
>> 2011/1/19 Michael Anstis<michael.anstis@gmail.com>
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I believe the .NET implementation of Drools is somewhat out dated.
>>>
>>> However Drools ticks all your other requirements.
>>>
>>> With kind regards,
>>>
>>> Mike

>> --
>>   - CTO @ http://www.plugtree.com
>>   - MyJourney @ http://salaboy.wordpress.com
>>   - Co-Founder @ http://www.jbug.com.ar
>>
>>   - Salatino "Salaboy" Mauricio -

Corneil du Plessis - Software Architect

TSC Technologies (Pty) Ltd
(o) +27 11 431 1666
(f) +27 86 674 2962
(c) +27 82 530 9259
Email: corneil@tsctech.com <mailto:corneil@tsctech.com>
www.tsctech.com <http://www.tsctech.com>

Re: Drools Java and .Net

Swindells, Thomas
This appears to be a missing jar from your dll I've not looked at IKVM but I presume it does some magic to work out what classes need to be include - magic which probably fails if the classes are referenced indirectly via reflection or some other means (eg if there is a pluggable service architecture dynamically picking which implementation to use. You may be able to get round this by explicitly specifying the jars/classes that you need.

You may also run into further issues when it tries to compile your rules as they may reference other jars and classes (if it is able to compile them at all!

Thomas

This message is confidential and intended only for the addressee. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the [hidden email] and delete it from your system as well as any copies. The content of e-mails as well as traffic data may be monitored by NDS for employment and security purposes. To protect the environment please do not print this e-mail unless necessary.

NDS Limited. Registered Office: One London Road, Staines, Middlesex, TW18 4EX, United Kingdom. A company registered in England and Wales. Registered no. 3080780. VAT no. GB 603 8808 40-00

Re: Drools Java and .Net

salaboy
Are you including drools-compiler as a dependency?
Greetings!

- CTO @ http://www.plugtree.com
- Co-Founder @ http://www.jbug.com.ar
- Mauricio "Salaboy" Salatino -

On 02/02/2011, at 05:40, FrankVhh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>> work?
>>>
>>> The rulke engine will have to be cached to improve performance, so that
>>> part, until there is an up-to-date version of Drools.NET, has to be in
>>> Java
>>> anyway. Then you expose your JAVA code as a (local) service and let .NET
>>> call it? Or am I seeing things wrong here?
>>>
>>> I must stipulate that I am not an expert in .NET at all, and I know only
>>> barely enough Java to get Drools working :-).
>>>
>>> Thanks for your help.
>>>
>>> Kind regards,
>>> Frank

>> --
>>
>> Corneil du Plessis - Software Architect
>>
>> TSC Technologies (Pty) Ltd
>> (o) +27 11 431 1666
>> (f) +27 86 674 2962
>> (c) +27 82 530 9259
>> Email: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

Thanks again for your replies.

I converted drools-compiler.jar to drools-compiler.dll and imported this into .NET. Problem might be that this compiles with an incredibly long list of warnings. This might explain the malfunctioning.

There are 2 main questions that I am posing at this point.

1) Is it necessary to convert those jars into dll or is it also possible to add the jar-files to some kind of path. (I will try to ask this to a IKVM community)

2) If converting is necessary: Suppose I can remove all warnings by referencing other jar files during dll-conversion. Will this be enough to get to rule execution? Because drools-compiler is not the only file that converts with warnings.

Thanks & regards,
Frank

salaboy wrote

On 02/02/2011, at 05:40, FrankVhh <frank.vanhoenshoven@agserv.eu> wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> Apart from the performance impact the behaviour is exactly the same.
>>
>> On 25/01/2011 17:04, FrankVhh wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Suppose that you have a rule engine that needs to be embedded on the
>>> machine
>>> and that there is no way to call the rules as a service from a
>>> centralized
>>> server, what approach would one have to choose to make Drools and .NET
>>> work?
>>>
>>> The rulke engine will have to be cached to improve performance, so that
>>> part, until there is an up-to-date version of Drools.NET, has to be in
>>> Java
>>> anyway. Then you expose your JAVA code as a (local) service and let .NET
>>> call it? Or am I seeing things wrong here?
>>>
>>> I must stipulate that I am not an expert in .NET at all, and I know only
>>> barely enough Java to get Drools working :-).

I figured out how to get it working. This might be interesting to some of the forum visitors, so I will post the brief solution here.

1. Write your Drools application in java "as usual" (see documentation :-)
2. Export your java code as a runnable jar-file.
3. Using ikvmc from IKVM/bin, convert the .jar to a .dll and (very important) ignore all warnings!
> ikvmc -target:library droolsapplication.jar
4. Reference this dll in your .net code.
5. Make sure System.dll and IKVM.OpenJDK.Core.dll are referenced as well
6. In your .net code, add a section to reference your drools libraries:
> System.Environment.SetEnvironmentVariable("CLASSPATH", ".;C:/Users/Frank/Documents/Drools runtime/drools-api.jar;C:/Users/Frank/Documents/Drools runtime/drools-core.jar;C:/Users/Frank/Documents/Drools runtime/drools-compiler.jar");
7. Call the (java-)class and invoke the method which calls upon the ruleset to be executed

This way, it should work.

Any remarks to this brief overview are welcome, of course :-)

Regards,
Frank
> [...]

>> Apart from the performance impact the behaviour is exactly the same.
>>
>> On 25/01/2011 17:04, FrankVhh wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Suppose that you have a rule engine that needs to be embedded on the
>>> machine
>>> and that there is no way to call the rules as a service from a
>>> centralized
>>> server, what approach would one have to choose to make Drools and .NET
>>> work?
>>>
>>> The rulke engine will have to be cached to improve performance, so that
>>> part, until there is an up-to-date version of Drools.NET, has to be in
>>> Java
>>> anyway. Then you expose your JAVA code as a (local) service and let .NET
>>> call it? Or am I seeing things wrong here?
>>>
>>> I must stipulate that I am not an expert in .NET at all, and I know only
>>> barely enough Java to get Drools working :-).

We used IKVM Ant task to create DLLs from drools and supporting jars.

You need to make sure that you compile all jars or that the remaining jars are in the classpath to that IKVM can locate and convert the classes on the fly.

salaboy wrote:
[...]

Email: [hidden email] [hidden email]